Getting Married in Farlow

Farlow ChurchCongratulations!

We are delighted that you are considering being married at St Giles’ Church in Farlow.

Where Do You Start?
The first thing to do is to contact the vicar, Revd Mark Daborn, who will guide you through the process of planning your wedding day. The meeting will usually take place over a cup of coffee at the Rectory in Stottesdon. You will probably meet once or twice more in the run up to your big day to make further arrangements and to prepare yourselves for marriage.

When Should You Come To See Us?
As soon as you can. Most weddings are normally booked 12-18 months in advance, to enable all the different aspects and venues to be co-ordinated but it is possible to arrange a wedding in just a matter of a few weeks if that is what you both want.

Where Can You Get Married?
Everyone has the legal right to be married for the first time in their local Parish Church. Depending on your own personal circumstances, you may find that there are a number of Churches available for you to be married in.

Banns are announcements in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place. They will take place on three different Sundays in the run up to your wedding. If one or both of you live outside the parish where you are to married, banns must be also be read in your local Parish Church. On these occasions, everyone in your church will also be praying for you. It can be very special and moving, so do go along if you can.

Is Being Divorced A Problem?
It could be. The Church of England believes that marriage is for life, but recognises that sadly, some marriages fail – so depending on your personal circumstances, it may be possible to marry in Church following divorce. You’ll need to have a chat with the vicar to discuss this.

One Of Us Is A Roman Catholic
This is not a problem in the Church of England, but do make sure that the Catholic side of your family have no objection to this. If you want the Roman Catholic Church to recognise your marriage, you will need to seek the advice of your Roman Catholic priest about the permission required for marrying a non-Roman Catholic. The Priest may be willing to be present and possibly to assist with your wedding service.

But I was never Christened
This too, is not a problem. Everyone, regardless of belief, is entitled to be married for the first time in their local Parish Church so it makes no difference to your wedding plans whether you have been baptised or not. If you would like to know more about being Christened (baptised) then feel free to mention it when you meet with the vicar.

Where Else Can You Get Information?
The Church of England has a very useful website for those considering marriage in Church. It will help you to get ideas for your service including music, readings and hymns. Visit to find out more.

How Much Will Your Wedding Cost?
The cost of each wedding will vary depending on how much you want included and the exact requirements of your service. The fees shown below (correct at 1st Jan 2016) are a guide and the exact price will be determined at your meeting with the vicar.

Basic Marriage Service £446
This includes the cost of Church, banns, vicar, administration & marriage certificate
Verger (recommended) £40
The Verger prepares the Church for your wedding, and is on hand to assist and welcome your guests
Heating (recommended) £40
Churches can be cold buildings even in the middle of Summer – you may want the heating switched on
Music, Sound & Bells (optional) £20 – £190
Hymns and Bells add to what is special about a Church wedding. This covers the cost of organist, bell ringers, sound system for recorded music & copyright permissions
Away Banns £40
Payable to other church(es) if you require away banns because you live outside of this parish